Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pinterest: The Ultimate Time Waster?

Anyone with a Pinterest account can, on some level, relate to this definition of the noun:















Two weeks ago, I could relate. Now, however, after completing The Pinterest Challenge: Winter Edition, created by Katie Bower @ Bower Power and co-hosted by Sherry @ Young House Love, I feel a little bit more like this:



Admittedly, at times, Pinterest can be a big ol' waste of time. I don't think any of us could deny that. But this past week, I participated in The Pinterest Challenge and put my pinning into action!

Partly because I entered the challenge not having prepared at all, and partly because it looked terribly delicious, I chose to make a Lemon-Blueberry Yogurt loaf, first seen here and pinned here. Even though I love a good craft, I figured for my first ever Pinterest Challenge, I'd do something that would take just a trip to the grocery store and a few hours to complete.

Instead of copying the entire recipe here, I'll let you use the link. I'll simply detail a few things that I ran into whilst baking:
  • I accidentally bought extra-large eggs on my last grocery store trip. On this trip, I had to buy more eggs (large size) since in baking, size matters. I opted for a half dozen.
  • Because I had never baked a loaf before, I needed to purchase a 9" x 5" loaf pan. Luckilly, it wasn't too expensive.
    • I also had to purchase a couple other tools. I probably could have lived without them, but I'm kind of a kitchen tool junkie. I got it from my momma. I purchased a hand grater/fruit zester, much like this one, and a whisk. I know it's strange that I didn't already have a whisk, but I didn't get one for my wedding shower, and I haven't needed one since. Plus, I have a Kitchenaid stand mixer, so ha!
  • I actually baked the loaf for 62 minutes total. Twice the toothpick didn't come out clean when I stuck it in. I wonder why. I guess oven cooking times vary.
  • I let the loaf cool for 10 minutes before putting it on the cooling rack, just like the recipe requested. Depressingly, the bottom of the loaf seperated from the top of the loaf and I ended up with half a loaf stuck in the pan. Aww, bummer! Oh well. I simply fished the rest of the loaf out of the pan and put the puzzle back together. If you make this loaf, let it cool much longer.
Pinterest Challenge: Winter Edition complete! Below are the pictures. They're certainly not as pretty as the original, but the loaf is definitely just as yummy.



The moral of the story?

I'm being too hard on myself. I've actually finished a number of projects I saw on Pinterest. For example,
  • DIY Tile Coasters first seen here, pinned here, and blogged about here.
  • Crockpot Chicken Tacos first seen here and pinned here.
  • Spicy Thai Noodles first seen here and pinned here.

P.S. Did you notice the too-brown bananas in the background of my loaf pictures? My pinspiration plus those bananas inspired me to make another loaf, banana nut bread. I figured I'd better get my $6 worth out of the loaf pan I bought. Since there are no pictures on the website, I chose not to pin the recipe, but it can be found here and here. They're actually two different recipes. I used recipe #1 fully, except I added the cinnamon from recipe #2.



    1 comment:

    1. Yay! Looks good! Especially the banana...I'm a sucker for banana.

      ReplyDelete

    Tell me what you think...