Friday, August 15, 2014

Day 4: The 21 Day Sugar Detox

Hey, y'all! Tonight marks the end of day 4 of The 21 Day Sugar Detox for Rich and I. While 4 days doesn't seem like a lot, it's more than half of a week, and I'm pretty excited about the progress I've made! The book suggests that we may experience, "mood changes, minor skin irritation, or breakouts." As for me, I most definitely experienced a little mood swinginess today. It wasn't terrible, but I could feel myself getting grumpy. So here's the story: I woke up early and felt a bit of the same low blood sugar thing I had going on yesterday. Because I was expecting it, and because it wasn't too bad, it was hardly a problem. Rich left for work and I did a little cleaning until a teacher friend picked me up so we could go into work for a bit and start getting things organized for the new school year. The day went smoothly. Early in the day, Rich called me since he had some time to kill between meetings. He remarked that even though he felt a little light-headed and tired, he is just generally in a better mood lately. I think that's great. Work tends to stress him out, so I'm on board for anything that can help. By about 2:00, I had gotten enough work done that I felt okay walking out the door. However, my energy was waning. By that time, I had eaten 2 eggs, a banana, some nuts and an avocado. My friend was nice enough to drop me off at the car dealership since my car was finished being repaired. I walked up to the cashier's window and handed her my credit card. Then she asked me for my ID. I checked my wallet and realized I didn't have it. Ugh. Remember that long walk I went on with Kim yesterday? My ID was the pocket of the pants I was wearing yesterday along with my debit card. Crap! There was nothing the lady could do (understandable), so I called my mom who came and saved the day (par for the course). She picked me up, we went to my house to get my cards, and we went back to the dealership to finish the transaction. Finally, I drove away with my car. I can't really describe how I was feeling throughout the ordeal. I wasn't mad, but I was frustrated. My mood was definitely a-swingin'. I suppose that's somewhat to be expected when going through such a thing, but I'm going to attribute it to being both a normal reaction and a side-effect of the 21DSD.

Once I was finally home, I got to work on dinner tonight: chicken soup with homemade dill crackers. The broth actually stewed in the crockpot for about 20 hours! That's the first time I attempted something like that, so I was pretty excited at the results. Basically, you mix about 2 pounds of bones (any kind), 16 cups of water, 10 cloves of garlic, 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, and 2 teaspoons of salt together in a crock pot and let it simmer on low for a looooong while. When it was done, I did add some more salt, but not a ton. I whipped up the dill crackers and added the chicken and veggies to the broth closer to meal time. The dill crackers were okay. I used coconut oil to make the dough, but I should have used butter or ghee. They turned out pretty "sweet" due to the coconut which wasn't a super awesome combo with the chicken soup. I was really excited to put anything that tasted remotely like a cracker in my mouth. Too bad, so sad.

Actually, tonight was the night of my crockpot recipe exchange, which is why I chose to make the soup. (I cheated a bit by not making the entire meal in a crockpot, but that's okay.) Unfortunately, I couldn't really enjoy much of anything except the chicken soup at the exchange, so that was a bummer. The best part was getting together with my favorite colleagues before all we can talk about are students and pre tests and marking periods and lesson plans and staff meetings and open house and doooooooooooom.

Other than my mild "mood swings," I can also report a bad case of heartburn. I've had it for a few days, ever since eating the beef and bacon cottage pie leftovers. (The spices resemble the taste of Worcestershire sauce.) In general, though, I'm definitely ending the day on a good note. In fact, I'm feeling more energetic now at 10:00 p.m. than I was at 3:00 p.m. Do you think it has something to do with the car sitch?

I'm hoping to update daily, if for no other reason than to document my thoughts and feelings throughout the 21 days. I hope you'll come back and cheer for me along the way.

Check out other posts in this series:

Day 1: The 21 Day Sugar Detox

Day 2: The 21 Day Sugar Detox


Day 3: The 21 Day Sugar Detox

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think...