Thursday, August 14, 2014

Day 3: The 21 Day Sugar Detox

Tonight marks the end of day 3 of The 21 Day Sugar Detox for Rich and I. We had another successful day! The book says we should be thinking, "Am I going to make it through this?" Sure, there has been a little bit of uneasiness today, but I never questioned whether I'd get through it. In fact, I spent some time with my cousin, Kim, who has a wheat allergy. (She's also a teacher -- yay for similar schedules!) As we so often do, we went for a long walk (3.5 miles), and we got to talking about things she can (and cannot) eat. She's also trying to lose a bit of weight and is having a go at a high-protien, low-ish carb diet right now. Because of the 21DSD, Kim and I are eating many of the same things. Many staples on a gluten-free diet really mirror the staples on the 21DSD (almond and coconut flours, fresh fruits and vegetables, and so on). I think just being around someone who is of the same mind set (both in diet and weight loss) really helped me to get through the day. Another thing that really does help is the support I'm getting from people on Facebook. Many people have liked my posts and several have commented either asking for recipies* (more on that later, gater), giving encouragement, or asking questions. Having that support, whether it be face-to-face or online, has been really uplifting. So thanks!

While neither of us really felt that the 21 days would never end, Rich is still craving diet soda something fierce. He's an avid...avid soda drinker (really he likes most varieties of drinks), so living without it has been tough for him. Especially since I bought three 12-packs of soda about a week ago! The book also points out that you may experience "fatigue, cold- and flu-like symptoms, low blood sugar, or self-doubt. Day 3 is the beginning of some of the hardest days for most folks!" Ouch. Okay, so most of that wasn't true for either Rich or I, but I certainly had some flu-like symptoms/low blood sugar issues early in the morning. I got up with Rich to make him a breakfast smoothie, and all of a sudden I felt a little like I was going to throw up. Then I felt a lot like I was going to throw up. Feeling like this in the morning on occasion is actually nothing new to me (I'm convinced I have some sort of equilibrium/temperature regulation issue), but I knew it had to have had something to do with cutting sugar completely. out. of. my. diet! I never threw up thankfully. I just nicely requested that Rich not touch me as he was so sweetly trying to do and sweated it out for a few minutes. After that, I was good to go. I drank a smoothie of my own (pumkin spice) and felt much better.

For lunch, we both had leftover beef and bacon cottage pie (yum x 2!), and for dinner I made lemon chicken with artichoke hearts and broccoli on the side. Honestly, the recipe didn't sound or look that fabulous to me from the start, but I'm all about experimenting my way through this. In the end, my instincts were right: neither of us really liked it all that much. Rich said it just tasted like "chicken and vegetables." Booooring! Especially for the amount of work I put into it (not a ton, but enough for it to be better than "chicken and vegetables"). After dinner, we went on another nice long walk (2 miles) and shortly after headed in for bed. All in all, it was a good day.

I'm hoping to update daily, if for no other reason than to document my thoughts and feelings throughout the 21 days. I hope you'll come back and cheer for me along the way.

Check out other posts in this series:

Day 1: The 21 Day Sugar Detox

Day 2: The 21 Day Sugar Detox


*I mentioned I would elaborate more on the recipies thing. I'm still researching what I can and cannot publish on my personal blog. While I know very few people read it, I feel a strong sense of responsibility to the woman (and the village of people who helped her) who wrote and published these books. I'd love to share the recipes with everyone as I know it must be frustrating to read how delicious the meals are and not get a chance to try it yourself, but I want to make sure to do it the right way. I'm looking into it, but in the mean time, because many of you have asked me for the recipe for the beef and bacon cottage pie, I will type it out and private message you on Facebook with it. That, I believe, is just fine and dandy since I'm just sharing a single recipe with a couple friends (something I could do if we were both sitting on my couch talking about it). Either way, thanks for your interest. I hope you continue to follow my journey. P.S. Rich also shared that he was a "little light-headed and tired," but he also said, "that means it's working." Every cloud has a silver lining! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think...